The LORD’S MY SHEPHERD – PSALM 23
“”You’re the only thing I need to make me feel best.” (Asda advert
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
1) THIS CHRISTIANITY – IT’S PERSONAL!
- thank him looking after you.
- Thank him that he’s a good shepherd.
- Maybe you’d like to reflect on whether you’ve been a good sheep.
- And if you don’t know him as your personal shepherd – Why not? What’s stopping you experiencing that for yourself?
2) THE GOOD SHEPHERD PROVIDES!
(i) our physical needs are met
(ii) He guides us
(iii) He protects us
“Before they had gone to bed, all the men from every part of the city of Sodom–both young and old–surrounded the house. They called to Lot, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.” Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, “No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing.” (Genesis 19:4-7)
- Thank him for all he gives you.
- Ask him for guidance – on big and small decisions
- Thank him for his protection – for the security we have in the face of Satan, Sin and Death.
- If you want that protection for yourself thank him for Jesus – who steps out to do battle with Satan Sin and Death for us on the cross Because we’re sitting at the Father’s table
- enjoying his hospitality.
3) WE GET TO KNOW GOD ON HIS TERMS
- Tell the Lord that you trust him, even if you don’t know all the plan
- Ask him to show you where you’re going wrong and need correction
- And thank him for his protection along the journey.
I want to know more:
- What is Christianity? 321 The Story of God, the World and You: https://youtu.be/tKyZjvK-d2M
- More on Psalm 23:
Psalm 23: A Psalm That Calms the Soul, https://bible.org/seriespage/4-psalm-23-psalm-calms-soul
- LISTEN: Psalm 23: Contentment, https://bible.org/seriespage/psalm-23-contentment
- Book: Philip Keller, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 (Zondervan)
- If you’d like prayer after the service, please approach someone wearing a prayer team badge, or the vicar.