We believe we don’t like labels! But here goes…
- For starters, we value the Bible as God’s last word on his purposes for people, the world, and everything. For many that would make us an “evangelical” church.
- We’re really excited about Jesus too – the Bible reveals him to be God, our rightful ruler, our Saviour, and the one who through his death and resurrection invites all people to receive a new life of meaning and purpose in his now and forever kingdom.
- What that means on the ground is we are seeking both to demonstrate, and share, the love of God with one another, our community, and the whole of creation.
- We’re also an “Anglican” or “Church of England” church. Given how muddled the Church of England sometimes looks in the press, this might put you off. Please don’t let it. Our teaching could be labelled “traditional”, but don’t let that make you think we’re old fashioned.
- If you want to get really technical…we subscribe to the historic creeds and formularies and the 39 Articles of the Church of England.
When it comes down to it, church is a bit like an MP3. You can read the lyrics, and speculate about the genre, but until you listen to the track yourself, you won’t get it.
To find out what St James’s is really all about, come and get in on the action!