True Worship in a False World
“Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock.” (Genesis 4:2)
1) Worship begins with the wallet
“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:21).
Generosity makes us:
- more like God,
- draws us closer to God,
- strengthens our faith,
- is an investment in eternity,
- makes us happy. Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).
For more information on giving to the gospel work here, visit www.stjamesnewbarnet.com/give or speak to Chris Jones (020 84400444).
i) whether we raise £500 or £20,000, the vicar gets nothing out of it!
ii) gift day is a vital part of our income.
|Gift Day Income inc tax recovery||Commercial Income inc tax recovery||Regular Giving||Other||Income||Spend||Budget surplus|
Projects for 2012 surplus #1: – Youth and Children’s Pastor
We need to raise about £20,000 towards this over the next 3 years.
By 2015, we need to raise our overall giving by about 20% if we are to continue funding the post.
Projects for 2012 surplus #2: – PA System and Chancel Redevelopment
There are three parts to this.
- The PA system – £25-30,000
- The Chancel floor and steps
- The “decorative” aspect
““The LORD looked with favour on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favour. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.”.” (Genesis 4:4)
2) Worship is about your heart
Who are you most like in your attitude to giving?
Abel [ ] Cain [ ] Worse than Cain [ ]
3) Worship is about letting God be God
The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground.” (Genesis 4:10)
4) Worship God because he’s Good
“You have come…to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.” (Hebrews 12:24)
“ Adam lay with his wife again, and she gave birth to a son and named him Seth, saying, “God has granted me another child in place of Abel, since Cain killed him.” Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh. At that time men began to call on the name of the Lord.” (Genesis 4:25-26)
5) Worship God by joining the team.
|What I’m going to do for God next…
I want to know more:
- To Read: The Message of Genesis, Atkinson, Bible Speaks Today commentary
- To Read: Transforming Worship, by Harold Best
- About giving: www.stjamesnewbarnet.com/give
- To Listen: Dale Ralph Davis, A study on Genesis 4 http://thegospelcoalition.org/resources/a/the_serpents_seed