Church is…supernatural – John 14:1-26
If we took God out of the equation, what would be different about St James’ Church?
“Do not let your hearts be troubled.” (John 14:1)
1) In Christ I am never alone.
We live in the capital city of a lonely nation
“”I will not leave you as orphans. I will come to you. Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you” (John 14:18ff)
Our ultimate identity isn’t ORPHAN it’s CHILD OF GOD.
2) Through the Spirit I have the truth.
The Sunday Assembly aims “”to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be.”
“I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6).
“All this I have spoken while still with you. But the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (John 14:25-26)
3) Jesus says we can do “even more than him”
“I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it “(John 14:12-14)
A faith workout for those with flabby faith-muscles…
John 12v14, “You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”
Ask God to show you something you can copy Jesus doing, pray about it, and go and do it.
I want to know more:
- Article, “The Church of Self Worship: Sunday Morning with the atheists”, The Spectator Feb 2014, www.spectator.co.uk/features/9141372/so-tell-me-about-your-faith-journey-sunday-morning-at-the-atheist-church/
- Loneliness: www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/wellbeing/10909524/Britain-the-loneliness-capital-of-Europe.html, http//news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7754861.stm
- Book: “Who do you think you are? Finding your true identity in Christ” (Mark Driscoll)
- Article: John Piper, How the Spirit Helps us Understand, http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/how-the-spirit-helps-us-understand