28One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29“The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.F52 30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’F53 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’F54 There is no commandment greater than these.”
32“Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
34When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.
MARK 12: SETTING THE SCENE
1. v1‐12 – Jesus upsets all the temple authorities.
2. v13‐17 ‐ Jesus questioned by the Pharisees
3. v18‐24 ‐ Jesus questioned by the Sadducees
4. v28‐34 ‐ Jesus questioned by teacher of the law.
Why is the teacher of the law different?
1)WHOLEHEARTED DEVOTION TAKES COURAGE.
Courage: the ability to accomplish things in the face of _______, difficulty, danger and fear.
2)WHOLEHEARTED DEVOTION IS ABOUT PUTTING GOD FIRST IN EVERYTHING.
There were 10 commandments ‐ which is most important?
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul with all your mind and with all your strength.” (Deuteronomy 6:4)”
AGAPE “love” is a serving, ___‐____________ love. Loving God with agape love is all about how we live. Its about __________ aspect of our being.
Sanctification: the Holy Spirit helping us change.
(For more see 1Cor.1:30, Hebrews 10:10, 1Peter 1:15, Hebrews 12:14, John 10:36, 1Thess.5:23, www.monergism.com/sanctification_the_christian_g.php)
Where in your life are struggling to live consistently for Jesus?
What are the reasons for your struggle?
3) WHOLEHEARTED DEVOTION IS ABOUT A KING AND HIS KINGDOM.
Why should God let me into heaven?
“not far from” the Kingdom of God is ___ in the kingdom of God.
Who has the authority to say whether a person gets into the Kingdom of God or not? ____________
Its not our efforts that make us worthy, but _______ efforts on our behalf.
I want to know more….
- Listen to John Stott preaching on Mark 12:28‐34 here.
- www visit www.christianityexplored.org to find out more about how to become a follower of Jesus.
- Read God’s Smuggler, by Brother Andrew (how God can use our courage).
- Read What’s so amazing about grace, by Philip Yancey (about how God gifts us rescue through the death of Jesus)