DOES GOD HEAL TODAY?
(Based on the Alpha talk: Does God Heal Today?)
1) HEALING IN THE BIBLE
PERFECTION – FALL – REDEMPTION
i) Jesus doesn’t heal everyone.
ii) healing doesn’t depend on how much faith you have.
iii) the miracles are often received by people who aren’t Christians.
iv) Fourth, healing miracles on their own rarely lead to conversion (eg Lazarus)
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2Timothy 3:16
“That’s why I have come” (Mark 1:38)
2) THE KINGDOM OF GOD
“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away…And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” ” (Rev.21:1-5)
“the kingdom of God is near, repent and believe the good news.” (Mark 1:15)
” Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.” (Matthew 4:23)
” Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness.” (Matthew 9:35)
” These twelve Jesus sent out with the following instructions: “…As you go, preach this message: ‘The kingdom of heaven is near.’ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give.” (Matthew 10:5-8)
“Heal the sick who are there and tell them, ‘The kingdom of God is near you.'” (Luke 10:9)
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
“Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well;” (James 5:14-15)
(3) Healing in history
“Others still heal the sick by laying their hands on them, and they’re made whole.” (Irenaus, 2nd century)
“`The name of Jesus can take away diseases.'” (Origen 185AD)
For Augustine’s account of healing miracles see his “The City of God” (reference at end)
(4) How to pray for healing
- remember it’s God who heals and not us.
- Setting isn’t important
- How do you find out if someone wants prayer?
4. Ask “What’s the problem?”
6. Ask “How are you feeling? Does it feel any different?”
7. Try to reassure people of God’s love for them,
I want to know more:
- To Read: When God Doesn’t Answer Your Prayer: insights to keep you praying with greater faith and deeper hope, by Jerry Sittser
- To Read: “My Back has been healed” testimony mentioned in sermon. http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2012/02/my-back-has-been-healed-i-am-charismatic-now/
- To Read: Dancer off her feet, Julie Sheldon
- To Read: Learning to Heal, John Coles
- To Read: The City of God, Augustine, http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/augustine-cityofgod-22-9-10.asp
- To watch: Is there a gift of healing today? John Piper http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlKriHYZpg
- To read: Gifts of Healings and Working of Miracles, John Piper, http://www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/gifts-of-healings-and-workings-of-miracles