THE TRUE GOSPEL – 1TIMOTHY 1:1-11
Who wrote 1Timothy?
Who was Timothy?
Why does Paul write to Timothy?
Why call the series “Rallying Points”?
Have you ever wondered “What if I’ve not understood Jesus right? What if I’m not a Christian after all?”
“15 Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves… 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:15-23)
“I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. Some of you
will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples.” (Acts 20:29)
“3As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer” (1Timothy 1:3)
1) Nothing matters more than relationship with God
The Perfect Creation
The Perfect Relationship
….All broken by rebellion
2) Beware false gospels
The Ephesian heresy:
“3command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer 4nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God’s work— which is by faith. ….7They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm. “ (1Tim.1:3-4,7)
What heresies would Paul have Timothy challenge in London today?
- The Prosperity Gospel
- The Inclusive Gospel
- The Morality Gospel
- The Intellectual Gospel
- The Experience Gospel
What can we do?
(i) Get to know the Bible better so you can spot Wolves!
(ii)Choose leaders wisely
(iii)Make sure you’ve got the gospel right!
3) the gospel way of knowing God.
“Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the command of God our Saviour and of Christ Jesus our Hope.” (1Tim.1:1)
“”We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.”(1Tim.1:8)
It starts with the proper use of the law (v8)
Tell us right and wrong – made stricter by Jesus (see Sermon on the Mount)
(ii) PUNISHMENT laws
For a nation state…which God’s people are not.
(iii) SACRIFCIAL/RITUAL laws
To cleanse us (or keep us clean) before God in the temple. Jesus is our ultimate sacrifice – he is our righteousness…not food rules and animal sacrifices.
The proper use of the law is to convict us of sin.
“9We also know that law a is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious; for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10for adulterers and perverts, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine “(1Tim.1:9-10)
“for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, “ (Romans 3:23)
On the cross, Jesus is punished in our place.
- Sorry – in other words admit our sin and turn away from it.
- Thank-you Jesus for dying in my place,
III. Please – come and renew me and help me live for you from now on.
I want to know more:
- What is Christianity? 321 The Story of God, the World and You: https://youtu.be/tKyZjvK-d2M
- Who is Jesus? Roger Carswell – available for free in the foyer.
- More on 1Timothy. The best readable commentary is “The Message of 1Timothy and Titus” by John Stott (Bible Speaks Today)
- Old Testament Law and the Charge of Inconsistency, Tim Keller, http://www.redeemer.com/redeemer-report/article/old_testament_law_and_the_charge_of_inconsistency
- Counterfeit Gospels: Rediscovering the Good News in a World of False Hope, by Trevin Wax
- Which Counterfeit Gospels are most prevalent today? By Trevin Wax, https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/trevinwax/2011/01/20/which-counterfeit-gospels-are-most-prevalent-today/
- Read the Bible in a year: www.biblestudytools.com/bible-reading-plan/