HOW TO AFFAIR-PROOF YOUR RELATIONSHIPS– EXODUS 20:14
“You shall not commit adultery.” (Ex.20:14)..” Exodus 20v14.
1) why is God so bothered about adultery?
“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ … So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.” (Matthew 19 :5-6).
2) But is it just adultery?
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Do not commit adultery.’ But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.” (Matthew 5:27-29)
Take this warning seriously –says Jesus – Be ready to take drastic action to guard against adulterous thoughts.
3) How to affair-proof your relationships
The top five reasons people commit adultery are: loneliness, poor communications, lack of romance, bedroom boredom and a lack of intimacy.
“Each one of you …must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband” (Ephesians 5:33)
“In humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.” (Phil.2:3-4)
What are the big barriers to communication in your relationship?
(ii) Connect (loneliness and intimacy)
Plan to spend time together! People who fail to plan plan to fail!
(iii) Creativity (lack of romance)
“may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. …may you be captivated by her love.” (Proverbs 5:18)
Routine is the enemy of Romance.
Plan a date your spouse would like.
Turn off the phone. Don’t discuss the kids or work or your finances or your last fight.
(iv) cultivate CONTENTMENT (bedroom boredom)
“may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.… may her breasts satisfy you always” Proverbs 5:18,
Beauty is relative not absolute. So choose to let your spouse be the standard!
“The husband should fulfil his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.” (1Corinthians 7:3)
This is the promise you made (Or need to make!) “‘To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.’
4) What’s next?
“Create in me a clean heart, O God Wash me thoroughly from my sin wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.” (Psalm 51)
‘God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us..’ (Romans 5:8)
A prayer: Jesus, you are the faithful One.You are faithful in your every thought, your every word, and your every action.Forgive my unfaithfulness – cleanse me from disobedient thoughts and actions. Lord Jesus, I want to be in relationship with you.May you fill me with your Holy Presence.Holy Spirit, give me love, power and self-control.Help me to be faithful in word, thought and deed.Amen.
I want to know more:
- What is Christianity? 321 The Story of God, the World and You: https://youtu.be/tKyZjvK-d2M
- The Alpha Course starts on Wed 30 Sept, 7:30pm, signup online or contact the office.
- More on the 7th Commandment: The Sanctity of Marriage (Exodus 20:14) By Bob Deffinbaugh, bible.org/seriespage/20-sanctity-marriage-exodus-2014
- 50 Creative Dating Ideas You’ve Never Heard of: http://stylecaster.com/creative-date-ideas/
- Battling Porn Addiction? pornaddictionhelp.co.uk
- Best free porn filter: K9 filter: www1.k9webprotection.com/
- Christian websites helping with sexual issues: sexwithinmarriage.com www.hotholyhumorous.com
- Real Marriage: The Truth about Sex, Friendship and Life Together (Mark and Grace Driscoll)
- The Meaning of Marriage (Tim Keller)
- How to act right when your spouse acts wrong (Leslie Vernick)
- Kiss Me Like You mean it (Dr David Clarke)
- The Ashley Madison con revealed: http://gizmodo.com/ashley-madison-code-shows-more-women-and-more-bots-1727613924
- If you’d like prayer after the service, please approach someone wearing a prayer team badge, or the vicar.