LEADERSHIP MATTERS…1TIMOTHY 5:17-25
17The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, “Do not muzzle the ox while it is treading out the grain,”F9 and “The worker deserves his wages.”F10 19Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.20Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning.
21I charge you, in the sight of God and Christ Jesus and the elect angels, to keep these instructions without partiality, and to do nothing out of favouritism.
22Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, and do not share in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.
23Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.
24The sins of some men are obvious, reaching the place of judgment ahead of them; the sins of others trail behind them. 25In the same way, good deeds are obvious, and even those that are not cannot be hidden.
Jesus is in charge!
1)Be patient – Jesus is in charge!
No process without prayer!
2) Character and faith matter more than skills and success
3) Honour your leaders because Jesus is in charge.
“Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.” (Hebrews 13:17)
I. Honour your leaders by listening when they give notices and by reading the diary pages in Newslink and the noticesheet and on the website.
II. Honour your leaders by keeping your promises.
III. Honour your leaders by taking responsibility for problems.
IV. Honour your leaders by not making a mountain out of a molehill
V. Honour your leaders by thinking the best of them
4) Rebuke bad leaders because Jesus is in charge
I. Act on evidence not gossip
II. Be impartial
III. Punish wrongdoers appropriately
I want to know more:
- What is Christianity? 321 The Story of God, the World and You: https://youtu.be/tKyZjvK-d2M
- Who is Jesus? Roger Carswell – available for free in the foyer.
- More on 1Timothy. The best readable commentary is “The Message of 1Timothy and Titus” by John Stott (Bible Speaks Today)
- Growing Leaders: Reflections on Leadership, Life and Jesus, by James Lawrence