FAVOURITISM – GENESIS 37
1) Recapping the story of Genesis 1-36
Perfection ->Broken by rebellion against God.
“the LORD God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.” (Genesis 2:16-17)
But a rescuer is coming…
2) Introducing Joseph the Favourite Son… (v3)
“Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him. 4 When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him.” (Genesis 37:3-4)
If you want to be part of the solution admit you’re part of the problem.
i) Parents – start treating your kids equally
ii) Favourite sons – humble yourself!
“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves”(Phil.2:3)
iii) Angry brothers – learn to forgive.
3) How to cope when life is the pits
(i) Why isn’t God answering my prayers?
Our prayers need to look forwards not backwards.
(ii) Where is God in this story?
Consider the circumstances….
a) Dreams (v5,9)
b) The stranger at Shechem (v14)
c) The Ishmaelite slavers (v25)
d) Potiphar (v36)
4) The Shape of Joseph’s Life
I want to know more:
- What is Christianity? 321 The Story of God, the World and You: https://youtu.be/tKyZjvK-d2M
- More on the story of Joseph: Jacob, Joseph, Jealousy and a Journey to Egypt: Bob Deffinaugh, https://bible.org/seriespage/jacob-joseph-jealousy-and-journey-egypt-genesis-361-3736
- Watch a sermon: The Sale of Joseph and the Son of God, John Piper http://www.desiringgod.org/sermons/the-sale-of-joseph-and-the-son-of-god
- Book: Where is God when it hurts? Philip Yancey
- Book: How to act right when your spouse acts wrong, by Leslie Vernick