What does the Bible say about marriage?
Who “owns” marriage – is it people, government or God?
i) Does the government own marriage?
“a voluntary contract by a man and a woman, in which by agreement they choose to become husband and wife.”
ii) Do people own marriage?
“If two people love one another, they should be able to signify their love with the term marriage.” Ed Milliband
“If you put people or governments in charge of marriage, you’re left wondering ‘what is marriage?'”
1) Marriage is about companionship.
“The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone.” (Gen.2:18)
2) Marriage is about glorifying God
“I will make a helper suitable for him.” (Gen.2:18)
i) Genesis 1:27, God makes both men and women in his image – they’re equal.
ii) Psalm 54:4, “God is my helper“
iii) Suitable = “LIKE OPPOSITE HIM”
This is COMPLEMENTARITY not INTERCHANGEABILITY
3) Marriage is completion
“Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. But for Adam no suitable helper was found.” (Gen 2:19-20)
“This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh” (Gen. 2:23)
” rejoice in the wife of your youth ” (Proverbs 5:18)
The challenge: _____________________________________________________
4) marriage is for life.
“ For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.” (Gen.2:24)
i) Marriage begins when you leave home
ii) Unite to your wife (Public ceremony, private consummation)
iii) You are then ONE FLESH.
A great way to help struggling marriages is:
5) Marriage is about Jesus.
” Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.” (Eph.5:25-27)
I want to debate more:
I want to know more:
To help my marriage
- To read: Real Marriage, Mark and Grace Driscoll
- Also in audio and video at: • http://marshill.com/media/real-marriage
- To read: The Meaning of Marriage, Tim Keller
- To listen: Staying Married is not about staying in love, part 1. www.desiringgod.org/resource-library/sermons/staying-married-is-not-about-staying-in-love-part-1
- Website: www.careforthefamily.org.uk/marriage/
Genesis 2:18-25 issues generally
- To Read: The Message of Genesis, Atkinson, Bible Speaks Today commentary
- Study on the benefits of heterosexual marriage parenting outcomes: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0049089X12000610
- Study on benefits of heterosexual marriage on the married: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18marriage-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0