Church is…prayer based – Acts 12:1-24
“So Peter was kept in prison, but the Church was earnestly praying to God for him” (Acts 12:5)
1) The Wonder of Prayer.
When all else fails/ at the end of my resources.
A.C.T.S. Adoration, confession; thanksgiving, supplication
The Church in Jerusalem in the Book of Acts – “earnestly praying”?
2) Problems with prayer.
Is God unfair? (Peter and James)
If prayer doesn’t work, why bother praying ?
Why doesn’t my loved-one recover?
Why doesn’t God answer my prayers?
3) What is available at St James?
- Weekly, every Sunday. 9.25 – 9.55am in first room on the right. [Joan Ball]
- Fortnightly, when homegroups meet. [Contact the relevant leaders]
- Monthly on the third Wednesday 10.00 – 11.45am in Church coffee lounge.[Caroline Jones]
- Monthly on Second Monday “Soak” at 8pm, upstairs in Church. Worship and Prayer (Rhianne Offereins]
- The Prayer Course 6 weeks in Lent from 25 Feb. Wednesdays in Church, 1.30 – 3.00 and 8.00 – 9.30 [Barry Unwin]. See special leaflet.
“Prayer is the most important activity of our lives. It is the main way in which we develop a relationship with Our Father in Heaven.” (Nicky Gumbel, founder of the Alpha course).
I want to know more:
- Book, Tim Keller, Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God